Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Chocolate Coconut Truffles in our Post Valentine's Day Post

It's a rare occasion that I feel the need to bake, but this past weekend was Valentine's Day and after several years of going out (sometimes resulting in a nice romantic evening, sometimes not so much) I decided to cook. My main meal was super simple - my family recipe of Swiss steak, rice and homemade biscuits (yes, I make my own).

All was going well until I realized at 8 pm the night before Valentine's we had no dessert and I had no gift for Eric. We had given each other Swatch watches (yes, they still exist ) earlier in the week as gifts but I still like to have something extra for him.
So over to Pinterest I went for some ideas.  Luckily I have pinned 77 yummy dessert ideas to my Craving Chocolate Pinterest board so the finding a dessert part was easy. Eric loves chocolate and coconut, so BAM, chocolate coconut truffles it was for both dessert and gift!

I used a quick and easy recipe for the truffles I found on pinterest from Sugar Apron Blog:

Ingredients
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butter - melted
2 cups or regular size bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Coconut Filling
Mix coconut, condensed milk, sugar, butter in large mixing bowl.  (I thought the butter was a little overwhelming so I added in a little more powdered sugar and condensed milk.) Form mixture into balls using hands. Place balls on parchment or wax paper on cookie sheet or tray. Place tray in freezer for 2 hours or until hardened.

Side note:
Before placing in the freezer, I thought it would be a good idea to add some of our (Tiger Lily Invitations) cute heart cupcake toppers before putting the coconut balls in the freezer.  I thought it would help with the chocolate dipping process. It didn't, so I took them out and added them after I dipped them in chocolate.





Chocolate Dip
Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl at 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and dippable.

Place frozen coconut balls on a fork or use mini tongs and dip into melted chocolate. Making sure to coat evenly on each side.  Place back onto wax paper.  Sprinkle with coconut or powdered sugar.  I added our heart toppers at this time. Place back into the freezer for 30 minutes or until hardened.

Keep refrigerated or frozen until ready to serve.



Here's my finished product! I served them on my granny's beautiful vintage rose dishes and crystal cake stand for a little added specialness and used one of the Tiger Lily Invitation heart banners as a backdrop for our table.




The night was simple and special and the truffles were delicious!

The recipe made over a dozen, but they will keep in the freezer so we can have a little treat anytime we need a little sweetness in our day.  ( I just had a half to get me through this dreary Monday afternoon!)

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day filled with a little sweet, a little sparkle and a lot of love : )

Jessica

Share your thoughts and favorite Valentine's desserts with us in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment